Week 8: Transcendentalism
- Unit 3, Introduction 199-203.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson 204-215.
- “Reading Essays and Speeches” p. 217.
- Henry David Thoreau p. 216-227
- Louisa May Alcott 254-258
- Please also continue with Moby Dick through Ch. 108.
CONSIDER for discussion:
- How is transcendentalism related to romanticism (which most of you should remember from English II)? Recall some of the salient features of romanticism:
- A concern for the individual over the collective, for the aberrant over the normative;
- A high value placed on nature as opposed to civilization;
- Attention to substance over form;
- The elevation of the common man rather than preoccupation with the highly-placed;
- Cultural reference to the Middle Ages as opposed to Classical Antiquity.
- “Self-reliance” is one of Emerson’s best-known and most highly regarded essays. What do you think of his ideas? Can you square them with the rest of your own system of belief?
Contents of this page © Copyright 2001, 2003, 2006, 2010, 2020 by Bruce A. McMenomy. Permission to print or reproduce this page is hereby given to members of Scholars Online for purposes of personal study only.