Advanced Particle Physics lab
Goal: Detect and measure radiation
Materials and Procedure
- You will need dry ice for this experiment. This can sometimes be purchased at party supply stores in small enough quantities for this experiment. Use all recommended safety precautions in handling this material!
- Download the PDF and follow the instructions from the CERN Cloud Chamber Workshop: How to Build Your Own Cloud Chamber at Home.
- Use the chamber to detect events, events in the presence of magnets, events despite metal sheets as barriers.
- This will depend on your instrumentation.
- Standard stuff: You should explain enough that someone else can repeeat your experiment to verify your results.
Post your report to the Lab thread at the Moodle.
© 2005 - 2019 This course is offered through Scholars Online, a non-profit organization supporting classical Christian education through online courses. Permission to copy course content (lessons and labs) for personal study is granted to students currently or formerly enrolled in the course through Scholars Online. Reproduction for any other purpose, without the express written consent of the author, is prohibited.