Unit 61: Lander Unit Exploration of a Planetary Surface
Goal: To become aware of the rover observations of Mars.
Materials and Equipment:
- Open the Access Mars Link.
- Watch the Intro, which summarizes the Curiousity Mission.
- Click on the LEARN option.
- Identify the major parts of the rover. This include the robot arm, the radioisotope thermoelectric generator, the remote sensing mast, the analytical system, and the mobility system.
- Click on the MOVE option or on the surface of Mars. You will be able to move to the point you have clicked. Find the markers and learn how the rover photographs the terrain.
- Click on the TRAVEL option or on the Map marker. You can move instantly to several positions.
Data Collection and Analysis:
There is no formal data analysis for this observation. However, you should make a note of the kind of terrain you observe at each site. Which sites are flat? hilly? show craters? What specific data was collected at targets like Buckskin?
Summarize your findings in an informal report.
© 2005 - 2019 This course is offered through Scholars Online, a non-profit organization supporting classical Christian education through online courses. Permission to copy course content (lessons and labs) for personal study is granted to students currently or formerly enrolled in the course through Scholars Online. Reproduction for any other purpose, without the express written consent of the author, is prohibited.