Unit 47 Laboratory Activity: Observing Conduction and Convection
Goal: To demonstrate the difference between convection and conduction.
- Short chain.
- Two "salsa" cups or similar small plastic containers that hold approximately 1 ice cube worth of ice.
- Two glasses.
- Food coloring.
- Put the metal chain in one of the salsa containers.
- Fill both salsa containers with equal amounts of water.
- Add the same amount of food coloring to each salsa contain. This should be fairly dark.
- Put the containers in the freezer until the water is frozen.
- Fill the two glasses or beakers 3/4 of the way with hot water.
- Take the ice out of the salsa containers. Place the ice from one container and metal in the first glass (glass A). Place the remaining ice from the second container alone in the second glass (glass B).
- Record the appearance of each glass at 1 minute, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, and 1 hour.
Write a short summary of your procedure and your observations. Can you explain in terms of conduction and convection what is happening?
Post your lab results to the assignment page for labs for this unit.
© 2005 - 2019 This course is offered through Scholars Online, a non-profit organization supporting classical Christian education through online courses. Permission to copy course content (lessons and labs) for personal study is granted to students currently or formerly enrolled in the course through Scholars Online. Reproduction for any other purpose, without the express written consent of the author, is prohibited.